Monday, June 14, 2010

Exploring Baku

So I spent most of Saturday exploring different parts of Baku. I started by walking down the Boulevard, and walking to Dom Soviet, a large government building obviously built (and named after) the Soviets, who spent around 70 years occupying Azerbaijan.


Then I went and explored more of the winding streets of the Old City, visiting some local shop owners and passing by many glorious mansions built most often off of money that poured into the city by oil investment. The exploration was highlighted by my visit to the Palace of Shrivanshah's (where much of the story of Ali and Nino took place). The Palace complex holds the palace itself, a small mosque, a mausoleum, burial vaults, a large gate, and some archeological excavations.


After a lunch stop (more Turkish doner), I went up and out away from the Old City, and went to see Martyr's Alley, a former park that was transformed into a memorial. It is now a memorial and a graveyeard for the people of Baku massacred by the Red Army on January 20, 1990. There is a small mosque, a flame to remember the victims, and tombs made out of black marble much like the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC. It is quite a moving place, and it also offers great views over the rest of the city.




I then walked around the outskirts of the Old City, exploring some more of the recent developments and architectural styles. Then I finished walking around by some of "Downtown" and around the sea, and then by the park where I live. There a shy little boy decided he really wanted his picture taken, so I happily obliged. Overall a fun and productive day.


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! I want to go on an exploration with you!

    ReplyDelete